Piedmont Habitat for Humanity
Location: Farmville, VA USA
Piedmont Habitat for Humanity’s mission is to serve those in need of safe, decent, affordable housing through affordable homeownership and affordable homeowner repairs. Would you like to use your skills to know you are an integral part of building homes, community, and HOPE? Then we invite you to please apply for our Construction Helper position. Piedmont Habitat for Humanity (PHFH) serves Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Nelson, Nottoway and Prince Edward counties.
Reports to: Construction Manager
Job Description: This position assists Construction Manager in all aspects of construction activity and volunteer management.
Employee Status: Non-exempt, hourly at 40 hours per week
· Performs all hands-on construction tasks as directed by the Construction Manager.
· Assists in the supervision of all site preparation and layout.
· Assists in the supervision of job sites on each designated workday and works to ensure construction is accomplished in accordance with approved permits and plans.
2. Future Homeowners, Volunteers and Contractors.
· Assists in training volunteers and partner families about construction tasks and appropriate safety measures.
· Treats future homeowners, volunteers and contractors with respect and dignity. Strives to make the construction involvement meaningful for future homeowners, volunteers and contractors.
· Understands elements that contribute to successful volunteers and helps ensure that volunteers have a positive, encouraging environment thus motivating them to return.
· Assists in identifying and assigning jobs not currently filled and matches the skills of each volunteer.
3. Other Duties as Assigned by the Construction Manager
4. Required Skills / Experience / Physical Requirements
· Basic knowledge and experience in the construction/contracting business, especially as a carpenter or framer.
· Team building skills are a plus.
· Must be a good listener and be able to engage in well-considered discussions.
· Must be willing to understand the big picture of the PHFH ministry and know that construction is only a part of the larger goal.
· Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds. Work will require climbing ladders, considerable standing, bending, kneeling, and reaching in awkward and tiring positions.
· Must pass Criminal Background Check and Sexual Offender check.
· Must have valid driver’s license and good driving record.
· Availability to work on Saturdays will be required.
Application Deadline: until position is filled
Send Resume, Cover letter and Wage Requirements to: email@example.com
Subject line of the email should state Construction Mgr.
PHFH is an equal opportunity employer. Applications are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws