Piedmont Habitat for Humanity
Location: Farmville, VA USA
Piedmont Habitat for Humanity’s mission is to eliminate substandard housing conditions through affordable housing homeownership and a repair program. Would you like to use your skills to be an integral part of building homes, community, and HOPE? If so, we invite you to please apply for our Construction Manager position. Piedmont Habitat for Humanity (PHFH) serves Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Nelson, Nottoway and Prince Edward counties.
The Construction Manager is responsible for the overall construction process for our organization in accordance with the direction, policies, and objectives set by the PHFH Board of Directors and the Executive Director.
● Responsible for all aspects of construction management, including planning, scheduling, suppliers, products and subcontractor’s selection and management, and the worksite coordination of staff and volunteer resources.
● Create a project estimate, budget and construction schedule for each house or project.
● Track costs; approve and code invoices according to categories in House Cost Ledger. Maintain House Cost Ledger, House Pricing Calculator, and other records, as required.
● Work with the Executive Director and Family Services Director to develop and maintain a construction schedule to ensure house-building goals of the affiliate are met.
● Advise the Executive Director on house plans, specifications, cost estimates, cost savings and potential construction problems for approved plans, as needed.
● Supervise and manage tasks related to scheduling and training of construction volunteers, including construction site supervisors, ensuring construction safety measures are discussed and followed on job sites and safety materials are posted and required training is satisfactorily completed.
● Maintain all aspects of construction in compliance with all applicable regulations, standards, codes, and HFH Affiliate Operations Manual. Secure building and environmental permits and CO.
● Obtain construction materials and tools, ensure adequate resources are available and maintain appropriate records.
● Obtain license information and certificates of insurance from all subcontractors each year.
● Coordinate inspections, subcontractors and flow of construction.
● Provide prompt and effective communications with Executive Director of any circumstances that will alter the construction schedule and/or impact activities, programs or funding.
● Perform Builder Warranty walk-through with each partner family. Complete both Habitat and USDA Builder Warranties (as appropriate) and provide the home buyer and office with copy. Address any warranty complaints and repairs, as needed.
● Responsible for completing the punch list and final preparation of the worksite.
● Maintain a working knowledge of best practices, new developments, cost and time saving techniques and trends in the field of residential construction.
● Communicate regularly with Volunteer Coordinator regarding build schedules, scheduling of volunteers and the completion and the timely filing of volunteer waivers.
● Effective communications, provide tool-use safety training, maintain safe working conditions, obtain adequate tools for tasks to be performed to assist in providing a positive volunteer experience.
● Communicate with Volunteer Coordinator and Director of Family Services regarding any issues that might arise regarding partner family sweat equity hours.
Qualifications and Experience
● Solid knowledge of residential construction, personnel supervision, and supplier and program management, including supervisory experience with trade contractors.
● Successful project management experience and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Must be able to evaluate completed construction tasks/stages for their correctness.
● Solid knowledge of applicable residential building codes.
● Work as an effective and proactive team player. Collaboration, networking and relationship-building skills are important.
● Must be a self-starter and able to work independently. Ability to balance leadership and management roles is required.
● Ability to identify, evaluate and problem solve, seek direction, manage conflict and work independently and in team settings.
● Demonstrated ability to teach building techniques to homeowners and volunteers of all skill levels is required. Must possess the ability to work with people of varying backgrounds and effectively communicate assigned tasks or necessary information to staff and volunteers.
● Willingness to work weekends and irregular hours, as required.
● Must possess a positive and optimistic attitude that fosters an upbeat work environment and contributes to a positive volunteer experience.
● 5 or more years of direct on-site experience with increasing responsibility in an applicable setting, is preferred.
● Must pass Criminal Background Check and Sexual Offender Check.
● Ideal candidate will possess a Contractor’s License.
● AS/BS in a Construction related field is preferred.
● HS diploma or equivalent required, with significant residential construction supervisory experience.
● Ability to obtain a residential general contractor’s license. Minimum of Residential Class C general contractor’s license required; Class A license preferred.
● Successful candidates will be able to complete the Habitat for Humanity Competent Person Training within the first 30 days of employment.
● Ability to effectively operate or manage standard construction related equipment, machines, tools and to maneuver typical construction site obstacles.
● Ability to climb, lift, reach, stand for extended periods of time and carry a minimum of 50 pounds, as required.
This is a full-time salaried position with competitive pay and benefits.
Application Deadline: until filled
Send Resume, Cover letter and Salary Requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line of the email should state Construction Mgr.
PHFH is an equal opportunity employer. Applications are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws